Have you ever wondered if it’s a good idea to do your own tarot reading?
Tarot cards can serve as a fascinating tool for self-discovery and personal growth, but there are a few considerations to keep in mind before diving in.
In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of reading your own tarot cards, and provide some guidance on how to get the most out of your tarot experience.
First, let’s address the question at hand: is it bad to do your own tarot reading?
The answer is not a simple yes or no. Many people find that reading their own tarot cards can be a rewarding experience, allowing them to gain valuable insights into their lives and choices. However, it’s crucial to approach this practice with the right mindset and understanding. When emotions are running high, or when you are seeking definitive answers to specific questions, it can be challenging to provide an accurate and objective interpretation of the cards .
To make the most of your personal tarot readings, it’s essential to stay open-minded and detached from the outcomes.
To make the most of what tarot has to offer, consider it as a valuable tool for self-reflection and personal growth.
With the right approach, reading your own tarot cards can provide meaningful insights and support on your journey of self-exploration.( It certainly did for me, and up to now, I have never met a tarot reader who did not benefit from tarot reading).
Pros and Cons of Self Tarot Reading
Benefits of Doing Your Own Tarot Reading
Tarot cards can serve as a tool for self-discovery and growth. When you read tarot for yourself, you’re in full control of the process and can tailor it to your personal needs. You can:
- Save money: Performing your own readings helps you eliminate the need for costly professional sessions.
- Convenience: Read tarot cards at your own pace and on your own schedule.
- Privacy: Keep your readings and insights confidential.
- Personalization: Focus on the aspects of your life that you find most important or interesting.
- Self-care: Tarot cards can help alleviate anxiety and foster creativity, spiritual growth, and self-reflection.
Disadvantages of Doing Your Own Tarot Reading
Despite the benefits, there are some potential drawbacks to conducting your own tarot readings:
- Emotional bias: Your emotions or preconceived notions might impact the interpretation of the cards, making it difficult to see the message objectively.
- Inexperience: Lack of training or knowledge in tarot may affect the accuracy and depth of your readings.
- Pressure: You might feel overwhelmed by the responsibility of interpreting cards for yourself, which could lead to stress or confusion.
- Over-reliance: Constantly seeking guidance through tarot cards can turn into an unhealthy dependence, preventing you from making your own decisions or trusting your instincts. ( ok that was me…. and even now, sometimes, if I feel stressed I am tempted to ask for guidance for things that don’t need any tarot reading…. I am far from being perfect haha )
By being aware of these pros and cons, you can make an informed decision about whether self-tarot reading is right for you.
Remember to remain open-minded and practice self-awareness when working with tarot cards to obtain the most accurate and useful insights.
Addressing Common Mistakes
One of the most common mistakes when doing your own tarot reading is over-reading.( hum hum like me hahah)
This happens when you ask the same question multiple times in the same session….probably because the answer is not what you expected……
To avoid this, when you feel the urge to do another reading with the same question, try to take a step back and focus more on what the tarot cards are trying to tell you, what lesson tey want to teach you to help you reach your goal….. and we sometimes also have to remember, tarot cards are meant to provide guidance, not an exact roadmap of your life.
Ignoring Personal Biases
Another pitfall in self-readings is allowing your personal biases to cloud your judgment.
Sometimes, you might want a specific outcome so badly that you read the cards in a way that confirms your wishes.
This is not only misleading but can also slow down your personal growth. Before starting your tarot reading, take a moment and clear your mind to ensure that you are approaching the reading without any hidden agenda or expectations. This will help you gain clearer insights and understanding from the cards.
Relying on Fixed Meanings
While tarot cards come with general meanings and interpretations, the beauty of tarot lies in its flexibility and adaptability to your unique situation. Relying solely on fixed meanings can lead to misinterpretations and limit your understanding of the cards.
To avoid this mistake, familiarize yourself with the general meanings of the cards but also be open to applying them to your personal context.
The more you practice, the better you’ll become at interpreting the cards in a way that is meaningful for you and helps you get the insights you need. Remember, a tarot reading is a personal experience, so embrace your intuition and unique perspective when reading the cards.
In summary, when reading tarot cards for yourself, be mindful of common mistakes such as over-reading, ignoring personal biases, and relying on fixed meanings. With practice and awareness, you can cultivate a strong connection with your intuition and use tarot as a helpful tool in your personal journey.
The Role of Emotions in Tarot Reading
Managing Emotional State
When it comes to reading tarot cards for yourself, it’s important to consider the role of emotions.
Your emotional state can significantly impact the outcome of your readings.
If you’re highly emotional at the time, you might lose focus and end up fixating on your fears or stressors instead of the question at hand. This occurs in experiences when individuals let anxiety lead, causing the reading to be influenced by their emotions.
That is why having a specific space for tarot reading is in my opinion very helpful because, with time,you get used to associating in your mind the idea of this space and doing your readings….so everytime you are in your space, it automatically helps you get into the ideal mind state. It is like telling your mind, ok I am now in front of my table with my decks, I feel safe and centered and i am ready for my readings….
Of course, to manage your emotional state while reading tarot cards, you could also try practicing mindfulness techniques to feel grounded. These can consist of deep breathing, meditation, journaling, or anything else that helps you reflect and center yourself. Having a clear and focused mind will allow you to connect with your cards and receive the guidance you seek.
Objectivity and Detachment
Maintaining objectivity and detachment is crucial when conducting tarot readings for yourself. When we are emotionally invested or too close to a situation, it becomes difficult to separate our feelings from the outcome.
This can lead to biased interpretations of the cards, as you might be more prone to see what you want or expect to see.
One way to ensure objectivity in your readings is by asking open-ended questions that focus on understanding and reflection, rather than seeking specific answers.
This allows you to approach the reading with an open mind and receptivity to insights the tarot cards may offer. It’s important to remember that the cards serve as a reflection of your current situation and do not dictate a predetermined future.
As you navigate the world of tarot, always keep in mind that emotions play a vital role in your readings. By managing your emotional state and maintaining objectivity and detachment, you can ensure a more accurate and beneficial tarot reading experience for yourself.
Seeking Other Tarot Readers
Reasons to Consult another ( professional or not) Reader
While it’s possible to read your own tarot cards, consulting another tarot reader can provide several benefits.
First of all, It is alway such a joy to meet other readers…. ( call me silly, but it is like a big family hahaha ok you can laugh at me…) I personally find it fascinating to discvover their story, their take on tarot etc… plus each tarot reader has a different experience and in-depth knowledge of tarot card meanings and how different cards interact with one another. I always learn a lot from other readers…
Additionally, another reader offers you an objective perspective. It’s human nature to have biases, and when you read tarot cards for yourself, these biases may affect your interpretation. A tarot reader, however, can interpret the cards without being influenced by your personal life or emotions.
Lastly, receiving a tarot reading from an experienced reader can be an empowering and illuminating experience because you can focus your energy and attention on the message and not try to fight between the need to interpret, the need to stay objective and so part of your energy is wasted. Here you can just soak in the guidance from another reader….
It can provide you with clarity surrounding life challenges and decisions, as well as reveal areas of personal growth that you might not have considered.
Finding Top Rated Readers
When looking for a top-rated tarot reader, it’s essential to do your research and find someone who resonates with you. Here are some tips to help you in your search:
- Check Online Reviews: Many platforms feature numerous tarot readers, along with ratings and reviews from previous clients. Spend some time browsing through these reviews to find a reader whose energy, style, and expertise align with your needs.
- Ask for Recommendations: Don’t hesitate to reach out to friends or online communities for recommendations on professional tarot readers they’ve had positive experiences with.
- Trust Your Intuition: As you browse through profiles and read about different tarot readers, pay attention to your gut feelings. Your intuition is an invaluable tool in the search for a tarot reader who will best meet your needs.
- Consider Pricing and Availability: It’s important to find a tarot reader who fits your budget and scheduling needs. Keep in mind that some highly sought-after readers might have waiting lists or charge more for their services, while others might be more accessible and affordable.
In conclusion, remember that tarot readings are a personal experience, and finding the right reader involves taking your time and trusting your intuition. By considering the points mentioned above, you’ll be on your way to discovering a professional tarot reader who can provide valuable insights and guidance in your life’s journey.
Debunking Tarot Myths and Misconceptions
Is Tarot Evil?
Tarot cards, in themselves, are not evil or inherently negative.
They are simply tools used for divination, which aim to help you gain insights into different aspects of your life. Tarot cards have been used for centuries as a tool for gaining insight and self-awareness, and their negative reputation often stems from misconceptions and fear of the unknown. Using tarot cards in a respectful, ethical manner can enhance your spiritual journey and provide valuable guidance.
Does Reading Tarot Bring Bad Luck?
It’s a common myth that we discussed here, that reading your own tarot cards will bring bad luck or that tarot cards themselves hold a sinister power. In reality, tarot cards are neutral and merely act as a reflection of your current situation and your intuition.
Tarot offers guidance based on the choices you make. Having tarot readings or even reading your own cards should not result in negative consequences, so long as you approach it with a clear understanding and a positive mindset.
Is Tarot Witchcraft?
While tarot has been associated with witchcraft in popular culture, in truth, tarot is not inherently linked to witchcraft or any specific belief system.
Tarot cards can be incorporated into various spiritual practices, regardless of whether witchcraft is involved or not. Tarot cards are tools for self-reflection and personal development, and how you choose to interpret and utilize them will depend on your own beliefs and intentions.
Remember, the power of tarot comes from your connection to the cards and the wisdom they can provide in guiding you through life’s challenges.
Debunking these myths and misconceptions is essential for understanding the true value of tarot readings, both for yourself and others. Embrace the opportunity to learn and grow through the practice, and enjoy the benefits tarot can bring into your life.
In the end, whether or not reading your own tarot cards is a good idea depends on your individual perspective and approach. Here are some key takeaways to help guide you in making a decision:
- Reading your own tarot cards can be a helpful tool for self-reflection and gaining insight into your personal patterns and decisions. It allows you to connect with your intuition and explore different aspects of your life.
- It’s important not to become overly reliant on tarot for making major life decisions or as a substitute for professional advice from experts like therapists, medical professionals, or legal counsel.
- Some practitioners discourage reading your own cards due to potential bias or difficulties in remaining objective when interpreting the cards. However, others believe that reading your own tarot cards is just as valid as having someone else perform a reading for you, as long as you remain introspective and honest with yourself.
- Developing a consistent and intentional relationship with your tarot deck allows you to become more attuned to its messages while familiarizing yourself with the various card meanings and interpretations.
Keep these points in mind as you navigate your tarot journey, and remember that ultimately, it’s up to you to decide the role that tarot plays in your life. It’s essential to listen to your intuition and follow the path that feels right for you. Don’t be afraid to experiment with your own tarot readings, and make adjustments as needed to find the approach that resonates with you the most. Happy reading!